Easy as pie – easy fish pie recipe
Now I love a good hearty fish pie. But I’m less enthused about the military process involved. Boiling, poaching, frying… not to mention the many million pots, pans and dishes required to make the damn thing. It is all a bit much.
So when I discovered that you could skip a few stages and amalgamate some of the process – without compromising on taste – I was totally enthused.
If, like me, the pain-staking process of fish pie fills you with dread, feel free to copy my super easy fish pie recipe.
And to make it even easier for you, I’ve made a 2minute video showing you my method. Check it out by clicking play above, or seeing my link here.
Easy fish pie recipe
Ingredients for easy fish pie recipe
For the mashed potatoes
- 1kg/2lb 4oz potatoes, peeled
- 50g/2oz butter
- 100g/3½ oz double cream
- 3tbsp warm milk
- Pinch salt and pepper
For the filling
- 500ml/1 pint milk
- 200g salmon fillet
- 200g/7oz cod fillet
- 1 1/5 onions
- 1 bay leaf
- 5-10 cloves
- 50g/2oz butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp flour
- salt and pepper
- 50g/2oz frozen peas
Method for easy fish pie recipe
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
- Cut the potatoes into 5cm/2in chunks and boil until soft. Drain and mash with the butter, double cream and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a separate saucepan, boil some eggs and cut in half.
- Heat the milk in a large pan, add the smoked haddock and cod. Cut the onion in half, make an incision in one of the halves and insert the bay leaf. Push the cloves into the same onion half and place this into the pan with the milk and fish. Bring the milk up to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 6-7 minutes.
- Finely chop one onion. Heat the butter with the olive oil in a small frying pan. Throw in a bay leaf and gently fry the onion for 4-5 minutes to soften, but not brown.
- With the remaining half onion, make incisions with the cloves. Add to the pan of onions.
- Pour 500ml of milk into the pan and let simmer.
- Chop in the cod and salmon to the pan and cook for about five minutes.
- Add the broccoli florets to the pan.
- Add in the peas and cook.
- Let the mixture cook for about 10 minutes and thicken.
- Pour the fish mixture into a Pyrex dish and top with the mashed potato.
- Dot the pie with the remaining half of the butter and place in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until golden-brown and bubbling.
Easy fish pie recipe – done!
Latest on YouTube
About the Author
I’m a British-Bengali Muslim mum-of-two. My pictures aren’t filtered and neither are my words. I’m not a makeup artist, chef or lifestyle guru. I’m just me, sharing honest beauty reviews for brown skin, halal restaurant finds, travel inspo, mum life hacks, easy Bengali recipes and more. If that’s your bag, keep reading!