Healthy recipe: carb-free prawn, mango and avocado salad
So I’ve mentioned this in my Fighting the Fat, blog post last month about how I’m trying to take positive baby steps towards getting fitter and leaner. One of the key things that have helped me is swapping carbs for salad and vegetables a few evenings a night.
When my husband first suggested this to me, I thought it was absurd… a meal without rice, potatoes or pasta wasn’t a meal. Or at least that’s what I thought. However by being creative with courgette and loading up on protein, no-carbs hasn’t been that bad. In fact, I’ve felt quite full.
As I go on this healthier adventure, I’m picking up new recipes along the way. And below is one such meal I prepared, which is totally healthy with a protein kick of prawns.
I present to you prawn, mango and avocado salad… a heady mix of juicy prawns, meaty avocado and tangy-sweet mango is the perfect taste distraction from carbs. Best of all, if you buy ready
prepped prawns (I opted for Young’s Cooked and Peeled King Prawns), there is zero cooking involved.
So here it is…
Recipe for carb-free prawn, mango and avocado salad
- 1 pack cooked and peeled king prawns, defrosted
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled
- 1 mango, peeled
- 1 heart of romaine or little gem lettuce
- Juice of 1 limes
- 3 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- A few coriander leaves to garnish
- To make the dressing, mix the sweet chilli sauce and the lime juice together.
- Pour the dressing over the defrosted prawns and leave to marinade while you prep the rest of the dish.
- Cut the avocado and mango lengthways into thin slices.
- Cut the base off the lettuces and slice the leaves into chunky pieces.
- Divide the leaves, avocado and mango between two plates.
- Top with the king prawns.
- Garnish with coriander.
Crab-free prawns, mango and avocado salad – done!
Latest on YouTube
About the Author
I’m a British-Bengali Muslim mum-of-two. My pictures aren’t filtered and neither are my words. I’m not a makeup artist, chef or lifestyle guru. I’m just me, sharing honest beauty reviews for brown skin, halal restaurant finds, travel inspo, mum life hacks, easy Bengali recipes and more. If that’s your bag, keep reading!