How to make… Spicy roasted Bangladeshi tomato salad recipe
|Bangla-style tomato salad/salsa|
Unlike normal tomato salad, which is served raw and cold, this Bengali salad uses cooked roast tomatoes and garlic, with an added spicy kick with fresh chillies. The traditional method of cooking the tomatoes and garlic is on a tavva, a flat cast-iron pan traditionally used for cooking chappatis.
This adds a real barbeque flavour. However, if like me, you don’t own a tavva, you can roast the garlic and tomatoes under a grill.
Recipe for roasted Bangladeshi tomato salad
- Place the tomatoes and garlic under a preheated grill, and cook until the skin is peeling away and slightly blackened on both the tomatoes and garlic. Turn over regularly for even cooking on all sides. Once done, the tomatoes will be soft and almost breaking down.
- Meanwhile, mix the onions, coriander, and green chilli in a bowl.
- Add the cooked garlic and tomatoes to the bowl, and mash together with a fork. Sprinkle with salt.
- And that’s it! You can eat straight away, or leave for a few minutes for the tomato juice to really
marinade with the flavours. The salad is best served hot and fresh.
- Enjoy, and let me know what you think, by leaving me a comment.
About the Author
I’m a British-Bengali Muslim mum-of-two. My pictures aren’t filtered and neither are my words. I’m not a makeup artist, chef or lifestyle guru. I’m just me, sharing honest beauty reviews for brown skin, halal restaurant finds, travel inspo, mum life hacks, easy Bengali recipes and more. If that’s your bag, keep reading!